Monday 21 January 2013

Corn, Bean and Pepper Salad in a Lime Oil Dressing






This colourful salad is health in a bowl. The golden yellow of the corn kernels  contrasts vividly with the various shades of green beans ( tinned and fresh) the red peppers and cherry tomatoes.

Corn and lime make good partners so I wanted to use lime in the dressing. But right now , while so many other vegetables and fruits are abundant and cheap, limes are very pricey.

The answer was the " Foodies Lime Oil"  which was a birthday present from Alison my sister in law.It had been lingering in my pantry until I could think how best to use it. .This new Foodie product is a combination of extra virgin olive oil and natural lime oil.

Over the years I have gradually reduced the amount of oil and vinegar dressing in my salads so they no longer swim in it, but are still moistened. This is healthier too.

This salad can be left to stand ( or kept in the fridge for a day or two)In this case  I'd add some chopped coriander and/or parsley just before serving.

We all liked it just as it was but I also think it will turn out to be a very flexible recipe. I plan to try different varieties of tinned beans, add some chopped avocado ( Just before serving) or leave out the tomatoes and add more red pepper.

Ingredients:

Corn kernels scraped from 3 cobs
1 tin of flageolot beans  (14 oz/398 ml)
4 cups of green beans ( chopped into thirds)
A cup of cherry tomatoes (each halved)
2 sweet long red peppers ( chopped into smallish chunks)
4 tablespoons of lime infused olive oil.
The juice of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons of cumin seeds (roasted and ground)
1 teaspoon of Hot Chilli Sauce ( I used the Hot Samoan Boy's brand)

Method:

Toss all of these together, and taste before seasoning with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Garnish with Chopped parsley/ and or coriander /slivers of basil






 

No comments:

Post a Comment