I was inspired by a recipe from River Cottage Veg Every Day to make this salad .Well, to be honest I copied it almost exactly, except for the parsnip. It's a healthy vegetable, but its colour is so insipid and it's slightly bitter.
I exchanged it for toasted sunflower seeds before I photographed it. Seduced by the vibrant colours I couldn't wait to have some of this salad for lunch.
Later we had the leftovers for dinner I had to stretch them out to feed two of us so added some blanched carrot batons. I'll do that again next time.
- ¼ red cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 large oranges, peeled with a knife and segmented, avoiding the membrane and reserving the juice
- 3 medjool dates, stoned and cut into 3-4 pieces across ways
- A few tablespoons of toasted sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sprigs of thyme, leaves only
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- carrot batons made from 2 carrots (optional)
- Spread the red cabbage evenly over a plate, top with a scattering of carrot batons (blanched) slices of orange, the dates and several tablespoons of toasted sunflower seeds)
- Pour over the reserved orange juice, drizzle over the olive oil, sprinkle over the thyme, finish with salt and pepper.