From Ripe Recipes - A Fresh Batch, a combination of roasted root vegetables, walnuts, spinach and feta cheese, flavoured with orange and fennel. Its vibrant autumn colours looked stunning on a large platter.
AUTUMN HARVEST BROWN RICE
1 cup (200g) BROWN RICE
2 CARROTS, peeled, chopped chunky
1 large ORANGE KUMARA, chopped chunky
¼ (700g) CROWN PUMPKIN, chopped chunky
2 RED ONIONS, peeled, chopped chunky
ZEST and JUICE of 2 ORANGES
1 tbsp FENNEL SEEDS
2 tbsp soft BROWN SUGAR
2 tbsp OLIVE OIL
1 tsp SALT
1 cup (120g) WALNUTS, roughly chopped
125g FETA CHEESE
1 cup (40g) FRESH ITALIAN PARSLEY, roughly chopped
1 cup (40g) BABY SPINACH
SALT and freshly GROUND BLACK PEPPER
2 tbsp APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
1 tsp soft BROWN SUGAR
1 tsp WHOLEGRAIN MUSTARD
¼ cup (60ml) OLIVE OIL
A pinch of SALT
Freshly GROUND BLACK PEPPER
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Grease and line a large high-sided baking tray with baking paper.
3. Cook the brown rice (see pg 250).
4. In the prepared tray, place the carrots, kumara, pumpkin and red onion.
5. In a small bowl, place the orange zest and juice, fennel seeds, brown sugar, olive oil and salt. Mix well. Pour over the vegetables and toss to coat.
6. Bake for 30 minutes. Add the walnuts and cook for a further 5-10 minutes until the walnuts are toasted and vegetables are cooked through.
7. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
To prepare the dressing:
1. place all the ingredients in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake well.
2. In a large mixing bowl, place the roasted vegetables and walnuts; add the rice, feta, parsley and spinach. Drizzle the dressing over the salad, gently toss to mix through.
3. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ripe Recipes-a fresh batch by Angela Redfern
$60 including NZ postage.
Available from: www.ripedeli.co.nz