For this recipe you need finely ground bulgur wheat.I found some organic finely ground burgul wheat at IE Produce and it was perfect for this.
This salad makes a very large quantity. It keeps well in the fridge for a few days so if you are serving it as part of a barbecue it can be made well beforehand.
It's a flexible recipe . This is a good starting point but add more or less of any of the ingredients to your taste. If I add some chopped cucumber I add it shortly before serving so it doesn't make the salad watery.
The Hot Samoan Boys Chilli Sauce is optional but it adds a nice little kick.
2 cups of fine bulgur wheat
2 cups of boiling water
3 spring onions
1 red onion ( finely chopped)
2 cups of finely chopped parsley ( stems removed)
1/4 cup of finely chopped mint leaves
10-12 vine ripened tomatoes
1/2 cup of olive oil
1/3 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
salt and pepper
A few drops of Hot Samoan Boys Chilli Sauce
- In a large heatproof bowl pour the boiling water over the bulgur. Let it stand for 5-10 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- Fluff it up with a fork.
- When it has cooled add the parsley, mint, onion and spring onion.
- Cut the tomatoes in half. Squeeeze each one over a bowl to remove the seeds, then chop.
- Stir the tomatoes into the tabouleh.
- Add a few drops of Hot Samoan Boys chili sauce for a little extra kick if you like,
- It can be eaten straight away or kept in the fridge for several days.