Tuesday 6 May 2014

Quilts at the Lake House Arts Centre

These gorgeous quilts can be seen at the Lake House Arts Centre, 37 Fred Thomas Drive, Takapuna. They were made by members of the Auckland Quilt Guild for the Dorothy Collard Challenge

Today, May 7, I'll be at an artist talk with Trish Downie from 11am-12pm where she will explain the long process of making a quilt from start to finish, and also who Dorothy Collard was and how this challenge came about. Anyone is welcome and it should be most interesting, especially for those who love quilting.




Two Sisters Quilting

By Annie White


Inspired by Picassos' painting 'Two Girls Reading'
'I adapted the image to reflect the bond between my sisters and myself. The space between sisters disappears due to their passion for quilting,'



Scene Between

By Rose May Scott

'When I took the photo I was inspired by the lights on the tree trunks and glimpses of the lake beyond. I have since painted in oils and now on fabric.'









Retirement: How did I find the Time to Work?

By Val Williams



'Having retired three months ago I've found time to sit and dream. At a recent retreat I was inspired to paint fabric and actually finish my challenge piece.








Where Love Grows

By Glenys Quinn


The Shape of a Balinese statue inspired The Space Between-Where love Grows. The colours were taken from the mahogany wood and the Banana tree flowers






A Rose Between

By Annie White

'The whimsy of this fun and rather evocative dress is captured and achieved by the strategic placement of a single rose, allowing a hint of sexuality to fill the space between.

















2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos and beautiful quilts. Thank you for the inspiring post!

    ReplyDelete