Monday 3 March 2014

Healthier Muesli





Far too many muesli recipes are laden with sugars and fats of one kind or another, not this one. It is made with toasted nuts, sunflower seeds, dried apricots and almonds and soaked in pure coconut water. Yeah! health in a bowl.




After Nick came to visit recently I mended my ways. His approach to life is wonderfully healthy He doesn't toast the organic oats in his muesli recipe at all. But simply mixes a variety of nuts, seeds and some raisins into them . The night before he puts some of this muesli in a bowl, pours over some water and leaves it to soak.


By the morning the mixture will have softened but retains some crunch thanks to the nuts. The raisins have added a little sweetness so there is no need for added sugar. He serves it with yoghurt and fruit. It's good! And this muesli will store well in a brown paper bag.


In my recipe I haven't quite followed him all the way. I can't resist toasting. So here it is, only a slight adaptation from Nick's original recipe.


To 3 cups of rolled oats I add a handful of sunflower seeds,  sliced almonds and brazil nuts. How much you add of each is up to you. Personally I'm heavy handed with the sunflower seeds (which are cheap) and add less of the almonds and brazil nuts (which are pricy)

I toast the muesli for about 20 minutes at 180 degrees C. Then add some chopped dried apricots.


For one small  but satisfying helping I put 1/3 cup of muesli in a small bowl and pour pure coconut water/or just plain water over the top. It's ready by morning to serve with yoghurt and some sliced mango.



No comments:

Post a Comment