Saturday 1 November 2014

Ani's Curry Powder



Nick sent this recipe from Mysore where he recently went to Ani's cooking class. I suspected that 50 gm of curry powder would be far too hot for me, but I gathered some large round chillies from my newly discovered Indian supermarket , as well as all the other ingredients and gave them a whizz in my little electric spice grinder.

It was hot. My tongue was burning after I tasted it. A glass of milk was the best antidote.
But it gave Ani's Butter Paneer Masala , which I'll post soon, an excellent flavour. And so much nicer than the shop bought variety which is often stale after it has  most probably been sitting on the supermarket shelves for far too long.

Curry Powder

Ingredients
Dry red chillies       50 gm
Coriander Seeds    4 Tbsp
Cumin Seeds          1 Tbsp
Fenugreek seeds     1 Tbsp
Cloves                     5 
Cinnamon                1 incl piece
Cardamom               3 pods whole
Curry leaves (optional)  2 sprigs

Dry roast all the ingredients in a wok on medium flame stirring constantly.  Cool the mixture and blend into a rough powder in a dry coffee grinder. Store in an airtight box.

No comments:

Post a Comment