I'm always on the lookout for silverbeet recipes as its one vegetable which grows in profusion in our garden most of the year round. This recipe is just another variation on kale crisps which have become very popular lately, and they are much healthier and faster to bake than potato crisps.
Not quite as crunchy as potato crisps but they are flavoursome, especially with the addition of a few drops of Hot Samoan Boys chilli sauce.They make a great pre dinner or after school snack.
- Wash 6-8 silverbeet stalks before using and dry very thoroughly. Wet silverbeet will not crisp up.
- Cut the leaves from the silverbeet stalks into small pieces. Discard the stalks or use in another recipe.
- Toss the leaves in 1 tablespoon of coconut oil and 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Season with salt and pepper and add a few drops of Hot Samoan Boys chilli sauce
- Arrange them in a single layer on a baking paper lined oven tray.
- Bake for about 15 minutes in a moderate oven. Take care not too burn, they should be a brownish green, not black.
- If you don't have balsamic vinegar it can be left out.
- These crisps can burn easily so watch carefully towards the end. If a few of them burn, remove them.